This is few photos when I make a traditional axe handle. I use my old mobile phones camera, so photos is not very good.
First I made rustic design with an axe.
It's very important that birch have curves naturally.
And then carving and carving...next I put glue at the ends and oil to the surface. So it is allowed to dry indoor...
Continued next issue.




That grain running uninterrupted through the curve is the whole secret — a straight-sawn handle always wants to crack at the neck where the fibres get cut. Riving the blank from a curved birch like you did keeps the fibres following the bend, and it looks like you found a really good one. Glue on the ends to keep the checks from spreading while it dries indoors is a nice trick too. Looking forward to part 2 and how the eye ends up fitting the head.
VastaaPoista